< The Pedal Gee Bee: Cowl Completed!!!!!!!!!

The Pedal Gee Bee


The ongoing saga of the construction of a pedal powered Gee Bee R2 replica for my kids.


Friday, September 09, 2005

Cowl Completed!!!!!!!!!

I finally completed the cowl!!!!! This is so cool!!!

I’ve run my hands over it so many times, just to prove to myself that I really built it. I just get a kick out of knowing that I built an object that curves in all three dimensions from a straight 1x8 piece of pine.

It still needs to be filled and sanded. I’ll need to use some Bondo to hide the transition from the cowl body to the noseplate. It’s relatively close, but if you look perpendicular to the cowl you can see that the two curves are distinct. It should be a smooth compound curve from the firewall to leading edge. After that I’ll have to trim, fill, and sand the aft edge where the cowl ribs attach to the firewall. The final step will be to sand the heck out of it so that it’s ready for priming. There’s certainly PLENTY of work left before it could get painted, but to me, the project has passed its second major milestone.


0 Comments:

Add a comment