< The Pedal Gee Bee: More Ribs and Wheel Covers

The Pedal Gee Bee


The ongoing saga of the construction of a pedal powered Gee Bee R2 replica for my kids.


Tuesday, September 06, 2005

More Ribs and Wheel Covers


Time spent: 2 hours (evening)
Glued in 6 more cowl ribs. I would have done more but both sides need an alignment adjustment rib, and I didn’t feel like hauling out the table saw tonight. I wish this process was faster, but every time I run my hand over the increasingly rounded cowl I feel a sense of accomplishment.

I finished shaping the second wheel cover using the disk sander/belt sander/hand sanding technique I described in a previous post. This time the process was a little faster, but I paid for it. The disk sander sensed my haste, and penalized me ¼ of the fingernail on my right index finger. I was listening to the Brewer game, rough-rounding the cover to shape, when my index finger got too close and caught between the wood and the disk. There was no blood drawn, since I was quick on the recoil and the disk speed partially cauterized the abrasion. However, it stings like hell, feeling like someone trimmed my fingernail WAY too far back.